Pages

Feb 12, 2008

5 Day Memphis Fast


In the past two weeks, we have had two incidents of school shootings in Memphis. This hits close to home as I am an English teacher at a Memphis City Public high school.

Thus, as a means of peaceful protest against this unnecessary violence, I've personally decided to go on a 5 day fast. For the next five days, until Friday night, I will eat nothing and drink only water.

As of now, members of the community are already getting involved. Two students in my classes gave up their lunch periods today to join in the fast. Also, Channel 3 news is doing a short piece on myself and those involved. My good friend, another Teach for America member, who teaches next door to me has likewise committed to fast until Friday.

I would like to invite any who read this to participate in this peaceful protest, especially members of the Memphis community. I'll post more updates if they come.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

I'm also a high school teacher, in a small Christian school in central Ohio. I resonate with your concerns, and while I won't be joining your fast, I'll do my best to remember the communities of Memphis for the next few days.

emergentcentralohio.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Conviction: As I grew exceptionally tired while teaching today, I've altered my fast to liquids. My body felt like it was caving in, and I too caved in and drank milk.

This doesn't alter the fast, but I wanted to be honest about my progress in it.