Pages

Jan 21, 2008

The dynasty of American politics


Never in my life did I think I would find myself on the left side of politics. First off, I was a right wing Bill O'Reilley conservative for a long time; by "for a long time" I mean my entire life up until a year and a half ago.

Regardless, I'm sitting here in my bed watching the democratic debate on CNN, and I've come to a conclusion about two things: one, I really like democrats and two, I'm sick of dynasties. When I took one of those Mr. online candidate corroborations, I came up as 94.1% ideologically in line with Hillary Clinton and only 93.6% in line with Barack Obama. Well, let me tell you something Mr. online candidate corroboration, you never asked me if I was sick of American dynasties or not. Had you asked me that, then you would have tacked on a few extra percentages to Mr. Barack Obama.

Unlike Roosevelt, Kennedy, Bush and recently Clinton, the sir name "Obama" isn't associated with the dynastical tradition of American politics. And I like that. No offense to the Bush's or the Kennedy's, but I believe they've played their role in American politics during the 20th century and it's time to squeeze some new orange juice. I am not a history teacher; I am only a humble English teacher from humble, middle-class, blue-collar, work-your-way-up, live-the-american-dream, origins. Yet from what I do remember of American history lessons, I do not recall American's executive branch of government being monarchical. In fact, I seem to recall a staunch group of vigilante citizens pouring tea or alcohol or something else in some river near or around Boston, in order to dissimulate themselves from the English monarchy. That may be an over generalization, but I think I make my point. The political landscape of our executive branch of government has looked all too close to monarchical in the past century.

I think Obama is a great candidate. First off, his sister is a teacher, his neck-tie is immaculately precise, and he can sure as hell write a good book. I only picked up his first memoir at some book store in the mall while my girlfriend was probably bra shopping or something, and I was astounded. I couldn't put it down! Actually, that's a lie. I did put it down after reading it from page one to page four. But in those four pages I read, I was bombastically entertained and impressed by the man's humanity and political ideals. Obama for president baby!

2 comments:

Brett said...

I heard your testimony!

You impress me quite a bit, Mr. Stich. I had two good, long conversations with people (Hamed, and Roger Hill from high school) about your testimony.

Good man, Mr. Stich, good man.

Mike L. said...

AJ,

I heard your essay at emergent village. I felt like I was hearing my own story. Thanks for sharing!!!

I also enjoyed "the Life of Pi" and all of Brian McLaren's books. They really helped me. The book that flipped the switch and allowed me to return to Christian faith without "checking my brain at the door" was Marcus Borg's "The heart of Christianity". For the first time, I realized my sacred story was a myth, BUT it was a better story and I loved it. Not because it is historically factual, but because it points to a deeper truth.