Pages

Jul 3, 2012

Teaching English in Taiwan: Part 1 - Getting a Job

Jimmie Collins, blogger/creator of Texan in Taiwan, describes why she went to Taiwan; after graduating from college, she could not find a job that paid a decent salary.  A friend of hers was teaching English in Taiwan and recommended Jimmie look into it.  She surprisingly discovered that any westerner with a bachelors degree can teach English, and it took her no time at all to land a job:
"I scored interviews — and subsequently jobs — with both the Gloria English School and Reach to Teach Recruitment within the next week." 
-(Quote from Jimmie's May 25, 2009 Blog post)
Jimmie's story is identical to my own: unable to find a lucrative job in the states, we met someone who was teaching English in Taiwan, working 4-6 hours a day, and making nearly $2,000 a month with virtually no expenses.  Both Jimmie and I couldn't pass up the opportunity; likewise, we both chose to worked for the same English cram school Gloria


When I started looking for a teaching job in Taiwan, I applied to Gloria and Hess.  Both schools seemed established and trustworthy.  As I was researching Taiwanese English teaching jobs, I came across several blog posts that mentioned English teaching positions that were scams.  For instance, on livelearnteach.com, blogger Antonio Graceffo writes:
"WARNING; There are a number of scams on the internet where a company charges you a fee to get you a certificate and then promises to place you in a job overseas. Don’t fall for these...the companies who place you in these jobs often keep a percentage of your earnings..."
When you're looking for positions, I recommend talking to or e-mailing someone you know who taught in Taiwan (like me:  Click here to e-mail) and get recommendations for reputable schools.  In virtually no time, I was offered a teaching position at both schools I applied to, but I eventually went with Gloria because my friends were there.  Which reminds me: If at all possible, go with a friend.  Like all adventures, traveling with a companion makes the experience memorable and alleviates homesickness. 

My friends and I on our scooters by the beach
My friend and I posing with the locals.  I'm on the right.
My final parting wisdom before you go about applying for teaching jobs in Taiwan is this:  read Pei-Chia Lan's research article, "White Privilege, Language Capital and Cultural Ghettoisation: Western High-Skilled Migrants in Taiwan".  Pei-Chia Lan is an an award winning researcher from National Taiwan University, and she wrote an eye-opening piece about western migration to Taiwan.  Essentially, she notes that westerns who migrate to Taiwan to teach in English schools are 'privileged' because their westernesss is considered cosmopolitan and hip; consequently, these westerners are given special treatment by Taiwanese people and businesses.  This was unquestionably the case for me; I received plenty of freebees while there, which I will write about more in Part 2 and Part 3 of this series...

1 comment:

ian said...

You can find a job in Taiwan by going there. That's how I'd recommend it. Chain schools are a dime a dozen, you'll never know until you go there, see for yourself and talk to teachers who work there.