Pages

Aug 30, 2011

Compare & Contrast Lessons, Far Better than "Here's What We Will Learn Today" Lessons

As far as I can tell, the inherent purpose of graduate school is to do one thing and one thing only: make you feel guilty about all the things you did wrong.

Today I watched this really great video on youtube about How People Learn.  My professor made this an assignment.

The big takeway I got from this video is people learn by:
1.  Making analogies
2.  Comparing things to other things

As a teacher, I rarely did this.  I followed the time honored yet statistically inefficient teaching model of "Today we're going to learn about light.  Light is bright, and it comes from the sun."  In other words, I told kids what we were going to learn, I defined the topic, and I gave an example of the topic. 

Ineffective.

Instead, I should have held up a picture of a light bulb, and a picture of a dark room, compared the two pictures, and made an analogy from something to kids already knew.  Research suggests that the latter teaching method will give the results I want.

No comments: